STATEMENT: Health care workers deserve respect, not bullying from government.
- Solidarity Halifax supports accessible, universal public health services for all, including home care and home support services.
- We believe that health care workers deserve dignity and respect on the job, like all workers.
- Home support workers at Northwood and the Victoria Order of Nurses (VON) are demanding to be paid the same amount as workers doing identical work in hospital settings. Wage parity is a fair demand.
- Public sector strikes are complicated. Unlike a private sector strike, there are three parties to a public sector strike – the workers, the employers/government, and the public. In this case, the workers offered several ways to prevent a strike, including binding arbitration and continued negotiations, which the government rejected.
- The Liberal government is planning to essentially take away workers’ right to strike. Historically, this results not in fewer strikes, but in more strikes, as documented by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives – Nova Scotia in a report written by Solidarity Halifax members Judy Haiven and Larry Haiven.
- Halifax condemns the Liberal government’s anti-democratic and anti-worker policies.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.