Nova Scotia Power was privatized twenty years ago for less than it was worth. Today, Nova Scotians pay some of the highest costs for electricity in the country, Nova Scotia Power is dragging its feet on developing new green energy, the power goes out every time the wind blows, and rates are rising once again.
Right now, Nova Scotia Power as a private corporation only has one mandate: profit.
It’s time for change!
|Public ownership is the way to move forward— to create a democratically-run power utility with mandates set by the people, such as:
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved!
Check out the result of our Name Our Oval Contest in defense of public spaces and resources against private encroachement!
In this short 1.5 minute video, Brian Crouse of Solidarity Halifax explains the need to fight for public ownership of our power utilities.
A recording of Emera’s Profiteers by the Halifax, Dartmouth & District Labour Council parodying Stan Rogers Barrett’s Privateers
Sung again at the pirate rally during the Emera annual general meeting
- James Hutt writes to The Chronicle Herald about returning NSP to democratic public ownership: http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/1205965-bring-nsp-back-into-public-fold
- Check out this interview with Kyle Buott, the President of the Halifax-Dartmouth & District Labour Council, as he debates public ownership on CBC’s Information Morning: http://halifaxlabour.ca/?p=1397
- Fight Emera’s Profiteers and the Corporate Pirates! Solidariglee sings Emera’s Profiteers (to the tune of Barrett’s Privateers) on CTV news: http://atlantic.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120514/power_parody_120514/20120514/?hub=AtlanticHome
- Nova Scotia Power announces rate hikes for the next two years… http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/05/08/ns-nsp-power-increase.html
- …while in the very same week, they announce pay raises for their executives…http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/05/10/ns-power-execs-pay-rises.html
- …and throw a party!http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/05/14/ns-emera-party.html
- An article by Jason Edwards with arguments for public ownership: http://halifax.mediacoop.ca/blog/jason-edwards/10919
- Social worker Jackie Barkley comments on CBC about the hypocrisy if NSP’s donation to a local food program: http://www.cbc.ca/informationmorningns/2012/10/09/nsps-donation-not-all-good-news/
**Check out these extensive articles by the Halifax Media Coop‘s Miles Howe**:
- Nova Scotia Power has a coal-fired power plant in Trenton. And it’s not nice having it as a neighbour
- Nova Scotia Power has been known to add arbitrary charges, termed “security deposits”, to customers’ bills
- Investigative series on Emera’s nasty international practices
- Interviews with management and shareholders from the Emera 2012 annual general meeting:
Coverage and photos from the June 7 pirate rally during the Emera annual general meeting:
- The Coast: http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/archives/2012/06/07/fight-the-power
- The Chronicle Herald: http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/104670-protesters-make-nsp-public
- CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/06/07/ns-emera-meeting-protest.html
- Open File: http://www.openfile.ca/halifax/blog/2012/protest-emera-meeting-calls-nova-scotia-power-be-public-utility
- Halifax Metro: http://reader.metronews.ca/digital_launch.aspx?id=6aff647c-434f-42bf-9ce2-f71976612b32&pnum=3
- Cape Breton Post: http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local/2012-06-07/article-3002942/Power-rate-request-sparks-protest/1