African Nova Scotian Solidarity
Recognizing the deep intersections between capitalist exploitation and racism, as well as the long history of racial segregation that continues to shape relationships of privilege and oppression in Halifax and Nova Scotia, Solidarity Halifax is commited to working with African Nova Scotian activists to fight against racism and exploitation.
- Guideposts for Anti-Racist Organizing Against Capitalism – October 5, 2014
- Colored Home and Abuse of Power – May 23, 2013
- Racism: Whose Problem? – March 14, 2013
- Understanding the Nova Scotia Home for Colored Children – January 19, 2013
Anti-racism / White privilege
- A taxonomy of cultural competence
Milton Bennett identifies various responses to difference, and suggests next steps to challenge people at varying degrees of comfort and practice.
- Constructive Conversations about Challenging Times
This facilitation guide by the Public Conversations Project has a great handout about the difference between dialogue and debate.
- Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools
The Foundation for Critical Thinking has simple, clearly-explained ideas about what makes it hard to hold on to our values while thinking through difficult issues. They also suggest concrete strategies about what can help (check out their main site here: http://www.criticalthinking.org).
- The Lie of Entitlement
This essay by Terry Crowley is about men working to be anti-sexist allies, but has useful ideas about evaluating our actions by their effects, not our intentions.
- You Can Fix Racism: simple steps for a better world
Damali Ayo’s booklet of small things that improve alliances.
Remembering Rocky Jones
Links toward recorded lectures and interviews of Burnley “Rocky” Jones.